2021 TOHO Challenge
The 2021 TOHO Challenge is in full swing and jewelry designers are encouraged to participate by submitting an original jewelry design made with the chosen colors for this year. The theme for this year's challenge is "Modern Traditions". Here's what Rochelle Petersen, one of the leaders behind the TOHO Challenge, has to say about this year's theme:
“As the world around us has become so uncertain, I’ve loved connecting deeper with myself as well as virtually with friends and family while finding new ways to keep the Traditions that mean the most to me alive and growing. This year, I have been drawn back to my comfort zone with many colors that have always been part of my bead stash, along with some newer, irresistible color complements I have yet to mix together. These colors have helped me to anchor and lift, or sparkle and soften, my designs and my attitude, bring out the roots of my experiences using the Art of Beading, and bring my visions to life. With this color palette for TOHO Challenge 2021, I hope you too, will find comfort in connecting to your Traditions in a Modern way, and we will help share your visions with the world.”
We're providing a list of the 2021 TOHO Challenge colors below, along with shopping links and rules for how to participate. Have fun and if you participate, be sure to let us know and share pictures in our private Facebook group.
2021 TOHO Challenge Rules:
Create an original design in the medium of your choice using TOHO seed beads and Starman Czech glass beads from the 2021 Challenge palette:
TOHO Seed Bead Color Numbers
Starman Czech Glass Beads
Rules for Mini Kit Participants:
● You are strongly encouraged to use at least some of each color in the 2021 palette to create one eye-catching piece.
● You are allowed to use more of the same TOHO and Starman Czech beads that we have provided in the kit. As many as you wish but they must be the exact color numbers on the list. TOHO seed beads should be the star of the show!
● No other seed beads or Czech beads may be used!
● You can add one Focal item of your choice, such as one single pendant or cabochon. For example, a strand of stones (or any other beads not listed above) does not qualify as one item.
● You can use any clasp, findings, backing, threads, and fibers—but make sure they stay within the challenge color palette and are used sparingly.
Send photos of completed designs and submissions to TOHOChallenge@teamtoho.net or message on TeamTOHO’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TeamTOHO/, and they'll post your design on their social media sites.
Please send a photo by September 15, 2021 and they could possibly choose you for featured designer opportunities in the future. If you have any questions, please contact the team at: email@example.com.
Get inspired by some of the designs that have already been submitted and our Facebook live video! In our video, Becky designed some pretty jewelry pieces using the TOHO Challenge Mini Kit. See her finished designs here.
You can see more inspiration for this challenge on the Team TOHO Facebook page. Here are some designs that designers have already submitted for the challenge. Make sure to check out their Facebook page for even more designs.